About Me

Hello there kiddlie-winks. We are the awesome team (Like a Pokemon team only without the Pokemon), consisting of two Matthews and a Bree. We are here to turn your brains upside down and inside out with our pondering oblongs. This fun filled blog is here for witty remarks and a stream of oddities. Your mind is about to undergo an adventure of enlightenment. Where you will discover more about yourself in this temple of wonderment, than you ever could in the real world, enjoy the pandemonium.

2013 World Trip Part 4



We awoke to Ian’s rather soothing alarm which sent me back to the land of nod within minutes. It was more lullaby than alarm. A few minutes later however, mine blared it’s horrible, mind-scarring alert that it was time to get the hell out of bed already. Puffy-eyed and lethargically, we slipped into our temple-raiding garb and headed out to meet Mr. Van. As predicted, he saw us before we saw him. I was now re-thinking my opinion. He was either:

a.       A crime lord with spies everywhere that were watching our every move and feeding it back to him OR
b.      Magic.

I liked the latter option. He tried his best to get a conversation started, but at that time in the morning my brain wasn’t functioning properly. I couldn’t be bothered breaking my sentences down into simpler ones for easier translation and what I DID end up saying was mumbled, garbled nonsense anyway so again for the most part of the trip, I remained silent – a new experience for me and one that I did not care to repeat unless forced.

Mr. Van pulled up outside a ticket booth and gestured for us to exit the car. We mosied on over and had our photos taken for personalized tickets that allowed us entry to the entire Angkor Wat complex for the day. I’m just going to throw this out there – at 5am in the morning, I managed to pull off the cheekiest smirk that just looks bad ass, if I do say so myself. Ian’s however looked nowhere near as good as mine as I am of course, gorgeous. With our tickets in hand, we headed back to where Mr. Van was waiting and set off yet again. We skirted what I thought was a giant lake as silhouettes of trees began forming in front of the morning light. Mr. Van stopped the car in a giant car park and explained that we should tour the area for at least two hours before we would move on to have breakfast. There was still close to no light, but looking out over the water an incredible silhouette had formed – Angkor Wat.




It would have been a really personal, intimate moment had it not been for the ‘entrepreneurs’ that swarmed around. They offered just about everything from personalized tours to books and DVDs about Cambodia (which I had learned from my girlfriend’s parents from their trip to Cambodia that a lot of books being sold are simply photocopied knock-offs). Trying to avoid them was pointless so instead I aimed to be as polite as possible and just flat out ignore them.

Ian and I walked across a large concrete bridge which stretched out over what we initially thought was the lake – instead it turned out to be a giant moat surrounding the entire complex. Making our way through the first ornate stone entrance, we took our position on the other side, cameras at the ready, waiting for the sun to rise over the temple. It was really quite stunning to watch, but little things like other ignorant tourists yelling or smoking (there were ‘no smoking’ signs around the entire place) detracted from the experience the tiniest little bit. However, after half an hour, warm, peach-coloured morning light spilled over the area and we were treated to an amazing view of not only the temple, but the rest of the grounds as well. 


 During another of our many impromptu photo shoots, a young Cambodian girl jumped in the back of a shot with Ian, explaining that her name was ‘Lady Gaga’, that she sold coffee and that we should most DEFINITELY visit her stall. We politely declined, but were stunned that not only did Lady Gaga look NOTHING like the photos we had seen of her (she was INCREDIBLY tanned in person) but had taken time out of her luxurious lifestyle to come sell coffee at a jungle temple in Northern Cambodia.




As the sun rose, so too did the temperature. It was different from any heat that I’d experienced before. The actual temperature really only jumped up to 26°C but the HUMIDITY! 96% on that day in particular, apparently. The large body of water around the complex only added to my climate woes. Whilst Ian and I were discovering a temple that had been built in the 12th Century, an oppressive blanket of damp heat sapped us little by little. Constantly climbing up and down the temples was hard enough, but in this climate my heart was thumping out of my chest and my clothes clung to me in just about every possible place as my body bucketed out as much sweat as it could in a vain attempt to keep me cool.

The weather did little to diminish the spectacle and we plodded on, jaws dropping regularly. The stone work was incredible. Not only were these things huge and maze like, but they held intricate carvings on just about any available surface. These ranged from seemingly random, pretty shapes to ornate murals featuring hundreds if not thousands of individually carved characters. One of the first things we noticed was a multitude of stacked rocks. They were everywhere. There was no order to them, no designated height or amount of rocks to be piled on top of each other and yet they were unavoidable. It turns out these piles are made by Buddhist Monks. They are basically a physical reminder that the Monks made it to the temple to pray.




Another interesting thing that Ian and I found out early on that day was signs that say ‘No Entry’ and ‘Keep Out’ can be bypassed for $5 US. The guards were actually encouraging tourists to jump over the barricades for a little cash donation. Ian and I took full advantage of this. A few dollars later, we were as close to the ‘peak’ of Angkor Wat as we’d ever get. The views from there at that time of day were spectacular.

We made our way back to ground level and set off towards another stone building we’d spied from the top of the temple. It was at the end of a road leading away from the complex and tucked away in a mess of moss, leaves and time. So naturally, we stomped all over it. I couldn’t believe where we were. The reality that we were in a different country had really only just now sunk in – now I was face-to-face with these ancient wonders. You couldn’t wipe the grin off my face if you tried. Though I’m not entirely sure why you WOULD. That’s just mean.

It was at this point that it occurred to me that maybe – JUST maybe – I was over-documenting the trip. Not only had I started this journal, I was filming everything with the ‘Ion Air Pro’ cameras, taking photos on the DSLR camera my girlfriend had kindly lent me and again on my phone. Between the moments of being faced with these awe-inspiring works of human achievement, I was juggling three devices, as well as jotting down mental notes for this journal and trying to keep hydrated. Maybe the mood was a little lost on me.

We made our way back to the meeting area that Mr. Van had designated for us and true to form; he’d pulled his car up in front of us before we’d even seen him. By now though, we were almost expecting this. I began to wonder if this is how rich people felt, then it hit me that I was probably richer than most of the Cambodians I’d met. And then I was sad. Ian and I hopped into the car and couldn’t help but lean forward. We were literally saturated with sweat and there was no way we were pressing that into his seats. I had the horrible thought that this was more than likely going to continue throughout the day. This meant that I was going to STINK worse than I did already. I was instantly cheered up when Mr. Van cranked the A/C though; instant mood reversal, day made.

We made our way around to another large area littered with ancient stone buildings and monuments, each more impressive than the last. Mr. Van directed us to a large enclosed area lined with tables and chairs all the while with his trademark grin on his face. He encouraged us to have a seat and within seconds a lady was taking our order for breakfast. I couldn’t keep up with the reality checks. Within fifteen minutes, I was eating pancakes with banana and honey in the middle of a Cambodian jungle temple complex, being waited on hand and foot. Life could be a lot worse.




During breakfast, we spied the reason the various stalls were able to keep their drinks ice cold so far into the jungle without electricity. It was literally just huge chunks of ice delivered on the back of a truck. Great square columns of ice lay stacked in the back of the tray that were hacked into smaller chunks and delivered to each of the stalls that could afford it for the day. It was awesome to see – frost clouds were pouring out of the tray. It was funny looking.

We’d barely licked each other’s fingers clean before Mr. Van politely pointed to the car and we were off again. We found ourselves at the Bayon Temple. The car doors hadn’t even closed before Mr. Van had disappeared again as was his way. That was one of the reasons Mr. Van was just that awesome – he had this innate ability to realize when he was beginning to loiter and he’d just vanish. It was great. He was there when we needed him but absent when we’d had our fill of Vanly goodness.

I’d barely stepped inside the stone covered grounds when a little boy who couldn’t have been older than 7 or 8 was suddenly jumping around, pointing up to a risen platform, enthusiastically describing that it was basically the best place on Earth and that I needed to get up there right that instant. That was basically all the convincing I needed, though Ian opted to remain at ground level. Camera looped around my neck, I followed the boy up the near vertical stair case and to the well-described plateau at the apex. The view was indeed, stunning. You sometimes miss out on a lot of things by simply staring at them from ground level. The world seemed to become muted for a short while as I made stepped around the small platform I’d found myself on drinking in the vista. When the volume began fading back up, I realized that the kid hadn’t stopped talking the entire time, pointing emphatically in every direction. He would’ve been a great little tour guide if he hadn’t been so expensive. The two minutes I’d been hanging out with him had cost me $10 US he informed me matter-of-factly. When I handed him $1, he told me with despair in his voice that with just $10, he’d finally be able to afford shoes. I guess I just really wanted him to remain barefoot.




Ian and I made our way through the throngs of other tourists but it wasn’t long before we’d left the Bayon temple in search of further adventure. We were to meet Mr. Van back where we’d had breakfast once we’d walked back to him. I had a feeling that it wouldn’t be that simple as the route was littered with temples and other cool-looking stone things. The two of us plodded back towards the rendezvous point but had only been walking for five minutes before we were stopped in our tracks again. Another temple, another bridge lined on both sides by shallow lagoons but damn if it wasn’t impressive. We were positively DRAWN to it. It demanded to be explored, and explore it we did. It was at this temple that we really began noticing a particular similarity between them all. The people that made these buildings in the 12th Century definitely had a fetish for near vertical stair cases. I was amazed that

1.       They managed to traverse the things in the past and
2.       That they managed to BUILD the damn things.

In the humidity, my body was having a hard enough time WALKING, let alone lugging gigantic stones into place to build a grandiose place of worship that would remain standing 800 years later. No thanks.




Ian and I made our way to the summit of the gigantic building (after waiting for a rather slow and large-caboosed Asian tourist to get the hell off the ladder) and after stumbling our way over to a balustrade facing the bridge and lagoons. It was now nine o’clock in the morning and we’d sweated more in 4 hours than we had in the last 4 months and yet, the following conversation ensued:
                Me: ‘Worth it?’
                Ian: ‘…Yeah.’

Poetic in its simplicity, right? Slowly and very, VERY carefully, we made our sweaty way back down to ground level once more. I cannot emphasize just how sweaty we were at this stage. It was as if we’d just stepped out of the shower. But I digress. We found a well-worn dirt path that wound itself through trees and stone and followed it until we came out near our designated meeting point with Mr. Van. A few small monkeys were playing nearby and after chasing them with my multitude of cameras for a while, we fought through a sea of merchants (‘COLL DREEEENK SIRRRRRRR!!!) and back to Mr. Van who was, as always, happy to see us. Back in the car, we were now headed for Ta Prohm, still reluctant to sit against the backrest for fear of adhering.




The entrance of the Ta Prohm complex was again, lined with merchants. Ian and I were becoming quite adept at politely ignoring the crap right out of them. They became a distant memory as soon as we walked through the stone entrance and were faced with a long road lined on both sides with thick foliage that filtered the sunlight down in golden streams. En route to the temple that lay beyond, we walked past a group of musicians playing nothing in particular to nobody in particular and seemed completely satisfied with that. I loved that. I just couldn’t help but think to myself
                ‘What an awesome day job. “Bye honey! I’m just off to the jungle to go play music in the shade all day!”’ A little further down the road, we found ourselves in front of another stone gateway and beyond that, lay Ta Prohm.

We had literally only just stepped inside before a shady looking character came up to us and in a very hushed whisper encouraged us to follow him. He explained that he knew the complex better than most tour guides and could take us to places that most other people wouldn’t normally see. Who were we to argue with logic like that? So we followed, logically.

To his credit, the man did seem to know a lot of factoids about the area which he dropped in well-practiced English. To his disadvantage however, the tour he was giving us was clearly dodgy as he held his finger to his lips to get us to be quiet many times – a clear sign that we were very much NOT where we were supposed to be. We were with the guy for around half an hour, clambering over all manner of ancient things. Moss ran rampant almost everywhere which made climbing tricky and dangerous. Ian found this out the hard way when he unfortunately lost his footing and landed hard on his hands when he came back to ground level. Lesson learned – take extra care everywhere, the place was not user-friendly.



Trees wrapped their way around various areas of stonework; the jungle was clearly trying to reclaim territory. One area of twisted roots and bark piqued my interest more than most: to the casual observer, it appeared that a tree had begun growing at the top of a wall and its roots had snaked their way down to the ground. This was only partially true. A fig tree had originally grown down over the stone, but it had been wrapped up by another tree in extremely close proximity that had – over time – wound around it and squeezed the life out of it. I know this thanks to our fantastic tour guide. 



True to his word, he did take us to cool areas and showed us the best angles for photos. Finally, we reached the end of the ‘tour’. Feeling obliged, I pulled a $20 US note from my pocket that I’d stashed there when I realized the man wasn’t providing kosher services and would probably want financial compensation for his troubles. Clearly not happy with the amount of cash I’d given him, the man asked for $20 more, describing how he had to send his children to school, he was incredibly poor, had been living in the temple providing these tours for over ten years and blah, blah, blah. He was probably the father of the shoeless kid I met before. I stuck to my guns.
                ‘That’s all you’re getting mate, my friend hurt himself on your ‘tour’!’ 
It seemed appropriate to get some kind of advantage out of Ian’s suffering. Seemingly satisfied, the man took the cash and darted back inside the ruins. Ian and I headed in the direction of our next rendezvous with Mr. Van, passing restorative work in progress. A familiar hum of a distant engine encouraged us to move to the side of the road. We watched as our former tour guide zipped past on a brand-new road bike at speed. Something told me that he was going to be alright financially, just couldn’t quite put my finger on it…





THAT'S THE END OF ENTRY NO. 4! I'm trying hard to write as often as I can and I'm STILL nowhere near up to date. Hope you're all still enjoying! until next time. 

Follow the link to Part 5:
http://ponderingoblong.blogspot.com.es/2013/07/2013-world-trip-part-5.html

No comments:

Post a Comment